Monday, January 26, 2009

Death by enchiladas it shall be!

Song of the Glob: "War" by Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Dear Globlets,

Not all my posts will be about religion, in case you were wondering. It's just a thing I've decided to explore publicly. I wrote a non-religion glob the other day but I'm still debating whether or not I should post it...

"Head knowledge of moral standards is easily obtained without religion. The Bible provides compelling reasons to commit to live by them without compromise." was part of a comment on my last post.
Cannot a non-religious person be good and ethical too throughout their lives?
And why is it that there are people who devote themselves, wholly or not, to God and the teachings of the bible, yet many still act in a primitive, sick, amoral way - sexually abusing and harassing women and children and men, killing and persuading people because of religion, and so on. The sixth commandment states 'You shall not murder,' but people seem to ignore this one a lot and use their religion to justify their actions. (Yes, this was part of my comment on the last post.)
Cannot a person be good and ethical throughout their lives... just because? Because it is the right thing to do? The good thing to do? Doesn't living a life rich in goodness beat a life lived in anger and fear?
Am I, in your opinion, a good person? I'd like to think I am.

You may think I'm going about this in the wrong way, with the wrong state of mind. But if it can be proven to me that religion or Christianity is, in fact, good, rather than simply repeating that "God is good," please tell me why and not what.
Amen.
Amen?
Yes, amen.
I would rather pray to the whole of civilization, to the entire race of man and woman, to the baffled, blabbering idiots of the world, to this stew of good and bad, right and wrong, and pray that the heat decreases and the boiling bubbles cease... maybe add a pinch of paprika, just because... to treat each other as we would want to be treated ourselves, and to live by that, selflessly. But in the end, the only thing I'm praying to is myself... because I have the power to help turn down the heat. It is my duty, as it is every one's, to contribute to making a better world. Too long and too much do we fight to say what is and what isn't, when our brothers and sisters are bleeding on the streets. I can hope and wish that others will treat people well and be merciful, but that's all I can do.

Christianity is not a selfless religion, it seems to me. [Believe in the G-man, follow the bible and be good, and you will be saved. You will be able to walk through those pearly gates and do whatever it is you're going to do for all eternity!]
Should a believer be old when they die, does that mean they have to walk around old forever? I don't know how heaven works yet... we're getting there.
Why is death so scary? I don't have a problem with the idea of being dead... and by dead, I mean DEAD. Dead = dead to me, not dead = afterlife. I'd take it as my time to "rest;" to no longer be in existence; peace? I guess it gives people a way to better forget the loss of a loved one and/or be less afraid of death and its uncertainty... because you don't know what happens 'til you try it and there are no survivors of death. (excluding people who have had their lives literally saved, of course)

If it can be shown to me that God is good, how he could exist, etc. then maybe I will believe.

"If God is within, I hope he likes enchiladas." - unknown.

Love,
Ori.

4 comments:

Saint Simmy said...

You were wondering how people can devote themselves to the Christian life and still sexually abuse children, and generally be morally shallow. The answer to that is, well, they can't. See, You cannot just slap the Christian label on someone and expect that their association with Christianity will make them holy. It's a relationship with Christ that save the soul, not the meathod of Christianity. While Christians still slip up and make asses of themselves sometimes, those who truely strive to be Chritians are genuinely repentant for their actions.

Z said...

Hi Ori, I'm also an FC blogger (I don't know if you know or remember me), and I just found your Blogger blog (glob?). It's very nicely well done, and now I've read your entire blog! Well done!

Zoe

Ori. said...

Zoe! Of course I remember you! Pfft... silly. :)
Thanks! Do you have a blog here?

Z said...

Haha, I wasn't too sure. :P I don't have a blog on here, I only have a WordPress one where I've done book and movie reviews. That's about it, aside from the FC one.

Zoe