Thursday, July 23, 2009

Work, work, work, work, work. Hello Boys! Pt.1

Dear Globlets,

I'm not really enjoying my job right now. When my hours were first changed, I was a bit upset because I was told I don't do certain things fast enough. So, instead of letting me learn to quicken the pace and get comfortable with my workplace, I get to close. I work 3pm-6pm, Wed-Fri; Saturday from 8am-4:30pm. The place closes at 5pm during the week, leaving me with a time-frame of two hours for possible, though minimal, human interaction. During the summer it's dead because most people are on vacation and whatnot. Saturdays are very quiet as well.
Now, I realize that it's slow at this time and that it will pick up in the fall, but my hours then will be Mon-Fri, 3-6, no Saturday, which could be good. But, again, two hours. During the three hours that I work, I downsize the deli case, wrap everything in cellophane, put certain things away in the fridge, dump the coffees, do the dishes, sweep and mop the floors, Windex the deli case, take out the recycling and the garbages, wipe down and bring in all the chairs and tables, restock the lids, cups, sugar, pop fridge, etc., and help the 1-5 customers I'll get in those three hours. It isn't brain surgery but I'm exhausted after that. It doesn't help when it's as hot as hell in there. I'm not Asian; I sweat. Don't you? I run around doing all this in three hours in a very small kitchen with limited air conditioning and a dish sterilizer. Extreme heat + bacteria = something like a Spanish Inquisition for the little mofos.

The reason I wanted to work in a place like this is for the social interaction. I've been told I'm friendly and people can easily like me because I smile naturally all the time. Most of the time.

Even if I talk to my boss about changing my hours, I'm not sure if I'd like it any better. I get blamed for things I didn't have anything to do with. I feel like I get talked down to all the time. It's easy to blame me. I'm new. I don't know anything. I'm incapable of doing much which is why I got the hours that I got. But I have a knack for closing and for cleaning things WELL.
It simply feels like they think very little of me. And because of this, I don't have the confidence to say, "I think we should put the dough back in the bowl because it doesn't look right and we ought to add some butter," even if I know that's what it needs. That happened the day before yesterday. I would have liked it if Jade had just made the dough and let me form the crust... because I know how to do it. Because my hands fit perfectly in the pan for making them. Because I've got a system for them. It's one thing my boss said I am good at.

The business's problems mostly boil down to disorganization. Recipes are not clear or easy to follow because you have to double or triple them, or they're so old you can't read it right or the terms are ancient and you think they mean something they don't. One loses a lot of money when you have to throw out cakes and things.
She doesn't have the signs up, the menu boards ready, the menus printed, any pictures on her walls, and no advertising online. It doesn't look as good as it could. It has a lot of potential but she doesn't take a day to JUST DO IT. That's all she needs. Maybe take a week off to deal with these things. She'd get more customers, more money, and she'd be less stressed. She's taken a couple of weeks already: one with her man and one that wasn't really a vacation since she visited her old, injured grandmother. She obviously CAN leave for a while. I don't know why she doesn't leave for a few hours every day for a week to make the place look better.

She also suspects I've been fucking up with the till and leaving her short of money... except I work 3 hours and get like 3 customers on average and a quick check of the receipts would clear things up just fine. "Either [me] or Jade," she's said. I don't even know HOW to screw it up. :/

I have to go to work now. Yay, me. I'll probably have more to say when I get back. Lucky you.

2 comments:

Tentacleslol said...

That sucks if they really think you're stealing money... Maybe you should go, that's a road you won't want to go down.

*hug* I love you.

Ori. said...

I don't know if it's actually stealing money... I don't think it is. But somehow she's down a hundred bucks or something a lot. I don't know. It's just what she's been saying.