Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Thursday, Portland.

Dear Globlets,

This is a quickie. I'm in bed at the Ace Hotel in Portland, Oregon, sniffling and sneezing, aching and whining, snuggling with a new "cuddlefish" team member(?) and eating pineapples, watermelons, cantaloupe, blueberries, all of which I can barely taste.
I love, love, love it when my nose is stuffed up but runny at the same time. It's the best. It's the best especially when you're uberstuffed up and then out of nowhere your nose begins to drip. It's embarrassing. It didn't happen to me yet, but it almost did. Bleh. I sound like I've got a grape stuck in my nostrils and like my head was pumped with helium and like my sore throat has a starfish wrapped around and stuck on it. So, generally, I feel pretty shitty. I'm tired and sore everywhere but I'm still very happy. I was singing earlier. It went, "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts..." I believe.

The Ace Hotel is pretty cool. It's like old style... with a style that is... old... but everything that isn't old is modern and cool. We got a tiny room but it's okay. Apparently there's a hum/vibration from the neighbouring cafe/restaurant but being half-deaf, I don't notice it. It does bug my mom though.

Today is the first Thursday of the month and that, apparently, is a special day in Portland. We went out for dinner (curry soup that I could almost taste) and walked around to find a grocery store where we could buy:
- kleenex box
- emergenC (powdered vitamin stuff to put in water that campers down like no tomorrow)
- fruit
- beverages
It took us quite a while to find it because we weren't really sure where it was and it was dark out already. We ended up just coming across it. But on the way we walked by some art galleries, open, free, and exhibiting (I smell a sexual innuendo). We popped inside to have a look and there were many people there, along with some great, and some WEIRD, art.
It's clear what kinds of art I like and don't like. I like modern art most of the time - as long as it's not too weird or stupid. I DON'T like paintings of forests or fields or farms, light-coloured fruit/flower arrangements, or Dali all that much. Dali is interesting but I wouldn't put it on my wall.

This isn't short any more, is it?

We walked around a little more, in search of a Fred Meyer that was said to be near. (It wasn't) On the way, we saw there was a little market-type thing where we saw even more art being displayed and sold. On every corner there were musicians playing great music, on every turn we saw an art exhibit, and the downtown city of Portland, Oregon was alive and well at 9 o'clock on the first Thursday of the month.

What do I think about Portland? Well, I like it. So far.

No comments: