Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Yeah, all right. You've talked me into it.

Dear Globlets,

Below is an image of a time line of Everything with two different scenarios: 1. According to scientists, 2. According to young-earth creationists. You'll have to click on it and expand it to see it better.



It's easy to say, because of the complexity and beauty and mind-blowing awesomeness of the world, that a man in the sky snapped his fingers a few times and created the earth. It's easy to say because it requires only belief that this occurred. It does not require questioning, facts, research, evidence, or any sort of intelligent thinking whatsoever. How many Christians have never even read the whole bible? And how many of them only follow the New Testament, which I'm told is much nicer than the Old Testament. How many creationists pick the parts they want to follow? How many pastors preach from Leviticus and Exodus and Ezekiel? Well, I don't rightly know but if they do preach from those books, they definitely leave out the parts like:
Ezekiel 7:4, 9
And mine eye shall not spare thee, neither will I have pity.

Ezekiel 9:5-6
Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women.

...but may read Exodus 34:6
The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.
...instead.
I guess it's difficult to figure out whether or not a religious person should follow the Old Testament... [link]

I especially like, in Genesis, when god creates "a big light" for day and "a smaller light" for night but creates the stars separately even though the sun is a star. It's funny. You'd think god would have told the bible-writers. Well, you'd think god would have told them a lot more in general...

But back to the topic of comprehending the origin of time...
Either a man in the sky, of whose past no one is aware of, created the earth and the heavens and did a bunch of stuff 6000(?) years ago for some time and hasn't come around again since, or there's an expanding universe with countless galaxies that we are not even capable of learning about yet, containing many, many planets that could not possibly contain lifeforms or be able to sustain life because god cares only about us. God created life, created us, created the heavens and the earth... according to the bible.

The more important image I have to show you demonstrates just how insignificant we are compared to the rest of the galaxy, never mind compared to the universe. You'll have to click on and expand this one too.



So, you tell me we're definitely the 'only ones' in the universe. You tell me that a god snapped his fingers and *poof* came everything in the world. You tell me that our telescopes are lying. You tell me that the evidence against creationism is insufficient.

Our world is so complex that it may seem like only something supernatural of superior knowledge could have put the world together. It may seem like that because of the countless, painfully detailed puzzle pieces that make up our world. (And what about other worlds?) It may seem like that because the amount of time it took for the world to reach this state is so difficult to grasp. What is 13 billion years? What is one billion years? What is a million? Where will we be a hundred years from now? Where will we be 6000 years from now? Where will the world be?

I believe, bordering on knowing, that the intricacies of the world and worlds around us did not happen overnight or over a span of six days. I believe it's taken BILLIONS and BILLIONS of years for life on this planet to evolve the way it has. It's had a very long time to get so complicated. And I believe there was time before the Big Bang. How much time? Who knows. But it's interesting to think about it. How much time was there BEFORE the Big Bang? Imagine the biggest number you can think of and multiply it by an even bigger number (because there's always a bigger number) and try telling me again about how it was next to impossible for the Big Bang to occur. In 6000 years, the chances are minuscule. But increase the time in which the near-impossible could take place and the near-impossible is a lot more possible. It's like buying a ticket for the lottery that you have less than a one in a m/b/tr/sext-illion chance of winning, every day, for, say, another 14 billion years.

I believe that the Big Bang occurred 13.7 billion years ago thanks to the amount of evidence supporting the theory. I cannot say the same for Christianity and the like. And if you can, please tell me and I swear to you, I'll become a nun and join a convent. (A terrible nun because I'd end up being an under-the-counter/habit vibrator provider.)

And now, to finish off with something not exactly completely different:




(I've been meaning to post this post for a long time)

5 comments:

Tentacleslol said...

There's sometimes no difference between Atheism and Christianity. I hope you understand that.

Ori. said...

What do you mean? I always thought they were antonyms. Theism vs. Atheism...

Tentacleslol said...

I need to write a massive thing explaining it. It's just like, at a certain point, Theism and Atheism become more or less the same thing. One believes in something, one believes in nothing, but some people take it to a point where beveling in something brings the same thing as believing in something. I don't know how to explain it properly half dead, but I'm starting to see, for some unknown reason, that Atheism, or at least some people with certain radical beliefs, are pushing Atheism on Theists, just as Theists push Theism on Atheists, and in that way, there's no difference between the two.

Mommet said...

I think you're talking about a pretty small subset of atheists ... All the ones I know don't proselytize. Just because they're making their voices heard does not mean they're trying to push anything on anyone.

Mommet said...

I also wanted to say that I wouldn't say I "believe" in the Big Bang ... I accept it as the most plausible explanation given current evidence. I also think that just because we don't know what existed before the BB then goddidit. Unfortunately we're still too dumb (as a species) to figure that one out.