Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Mango Pie Recipe.
From "5 a Day, Fruit and Vegetable Cookbook," this pie is amazing. It's not as hard as you may think. I was scared of pies until I found this one. Mango is my favourite fruit, so naturally I had to make it when I found it! It's nice.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, chilled and diced
1 tablespoon sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
about 3 tablespoons cold water
beaten egg, to glaze
vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
For the filling
2 ripe mangoes
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon arrowroot mixed to a paste with 1 tablespoon water (used for thickening, similar to cornstarch)
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter and solid vegetable shortening with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs, then stir in the sugar. Add just enough of the cold water to make a dough.
2. Knead lightly, then roll out two-thirds of the pastry and use it to line a 7-inch pie dish. Wrap the remaining pastry in plastic wrap and chill both the pastry and the pastry shell for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the filling. Peel the mangoes and slice the flesh off the pit. Reserve half the sliced mango and coarsely chop the rest.
4. Place the chopped mango in a saucepan with the lime juice and sugar. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until soft. Pour in the arrowroot paste and cook, stirring all the time, until thickened. Set the filling aside to cool.
5. Preheat the oven to 375*F. Pour the cooled mango filling into the chilled pastry shell and top with the reserved mango slices. Roll out the remaining pastry to make a top crust.
6. Dampen the rim of the pastry shell and all the top crust. Crimp the edges to seal, then cut a small cross in the center to allow the steam to escape.
7. Glaze the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Variations: Make the pie using one mango and one papaya, peeled, seeded and sliced. Add a little ground cinnamon and some freshly grated nutmeg to the filling for a sweet spice flavour.