Monday, September 27, 2010

Fiction Class Assignment #1


Dear Globlets,

I changed some of this based on what my prof suggested. As promised, something I've written for ENG154. (I did promise, right? Whatever. It's happening.):


Mind vs. Body

He promised that he would be coming by, solely as a friend and had no intention of behaving the way he used to with her. She believed him, mostly. After all, he was a nice guy and never demanded anything from her.

The doorbell rang. She popped a mint into her mouth and walked downstairs to open the door.

"Hey!" they both said when they saw each other.
"Long time no see, eh?" he said. She nodded and moved aside to let him enter her home. He opened his arms to hug her and she, not sensing a threat, responded by opening her arms and leaning in. The hug was much tighter and longer than the kind of hug one would give a friend. They let go of each other, but his hands took a little longer to leave the sides of her body, and they even lingered on her hips for a moment. He looked into her eyes; she giggled awkwardly and turned to go up the stairs.

Once in the kitchen, she asked if he would like something to drink. He agreed to a glass of water. While the cold water plunged and splashed inside the tall, crystal-clear glass, which was quickly beginning to sweat and get fogged up, she could feel him staring at her and she wondered what he was thinking. She set the water jug down and, with the glass in hand, quickly turned around to face her guest. He looked straight at her as he took the glass from her hands; his strong fingers made marks appear on the wet glass. He thanked her for the water and without looking away from her, he took a sip. She looked back at him but soon broke the stare by giggling once again. She turned away.

"So, what have you been up to for the past month?" she asked.
"I'm sorry I didn't reply to your e-mail. I should have let you know what was going on.
"Well, yeah. I mean, I thought you were done with me. I was okay with that. I would be okay if you are done with me. Just let me know."
"No! I'm... I'm not done at all," he claimed. He set his glass down on the counter and faced her again. He smiled and she smiled back.
"It's so good to see you!" he said suddenly. He wrapped his arms around her waist and picked her up. She screamed and demanded that he put her down. Finally, when he did, his arms accidentally, or perhaps not so accidentally, grazed her breasts. Again, she giggled. He gave her a look she could not decipher.

"I'm sorry," he said.
"Mhmm," she replied and looked down. "Um, I'm seeing someone.".
"Oh. Really? Tell me about him!" He sat down in a nearby chair.
"I don't think you really want me to tell you about him."
"Go on."
"Well," she sighed, "It's not serious. I mean, I don't love him. We're just dating. I think he understands that our relationship isn't going to go anywhere. But, well, now I'm not sure. I don't know. It's complicated. He is sensitive, though. I'm worried he's grown too attached to me." He nodded as though he was trying to process the information without showing much emotion. After not speaking for several minutes, their eyes met once more. He got up, moved closer to her, slowly, and placed his hands on her shoulders. While still looking at each other, his hands began to move down her body: to her sides, her waist, and her hips. He pressed himself up against her, pushing her back against the wall. Her hands inevitably left the wall to hold him. He groped her just once and she closed her eyes, bit her lip, but just before he managed to kiss her, she removed his hands and pushed him away. She tried to calm herself down as her breathing had become heavier in those few moments.

"I can't," she said. She wanted to and she could not prevent her eyes from convincing him otherwise. Her mind said "no" but her body said "yes."
"I'm still really attracted to you. I wanted to come here and just be your friend, but I can't help it. Something about you makes me... just... yeah. There's too much chemistry."
"I'm in a relationship. I can't do this to him."
"Does he have to know?"
"Yes? No? I don't know. You've confused me. I need to figure things out now. I think you should leave."
"Oh. Well, okay. I'm sorry."
"Yeah. It was good seeing you again."
"It was. Okay, I guess I'll see you later." She followed him down the stairs to the front door.
"Yup," she replied. She tried not to make eye contact again. He opened the door and turned to face her.
"Bye," he said. She automatically looked back to him and failed to look somewhere other than at his eyes.
"Bye," she whispered as they stared at each other one last time. He turned away and shut the door behind him.


"Fuck," they each said on their sides of the doorway.


Mark: 8.5/10


Also, for the record, Jack Vettriano is one of my all-time favourite artists.

No comments: