Saturday, December 18, 2010

"Life is But a Dream" short story.

Dear Globlets,

For my final short story for ENG154 (Fiction), I took an idea that I'd had for a long time that I've been wanting to expand on. It was based on the last scene of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode (possibly season three, according to one of my ENG154 classmates who remembered the episode and linked it to the info I gave about my story). In it, you see the mom and doctor looking at Buffy in the hospital who is on the floor in her hospital gown and we, the audience, know that all the things she talked about (vampires, demons, etc.) was true but her mom and doctor don't believe her, and the question of which reality is real came into question. Everyone (the audience) knew that there were vampires and such because we'd been with Buffy every step of the way, but the possibility that it was all a figment of Buffy's imagination was still compelling.

I took that idea and, after many years of having it stew in my brain, after many weeks of planning it out, I sat down and I wrote it. As it turns out, the planning process wasn't super helpful. It was full of "maybes," so it was more a note-taking of ideas. Reckon I do better if I just sit and write; planning can be done in every other aspect of my life (spoken like a true Virgo), but maybe that's why I like writing fiction. It's spontaneous and I can make the unexpected happen any way I like.

It was to be 8-20 pages and it's about 20, double-spaced... So it's a little long, which is why I've decided to post it as a separate page on my glob. You'll see it at the top, titled "Life is But a Dream", underneath the heading "Globulations." I'd love to know what you think about it, so leave me a comment here if you can't leave me one on the page.

My intention was to leave the reader wondering which reality was real. I'm considering turning this into a novel, but we'll see.

I hope you like it, and may your mind be fucked.

Link.

No comments: