Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Just to see you in it."

Dear Globlets,

About a week before my birthday, after work, I walked down one of the halls at the mall, and as usual, I walked by Danier. I have always wanted a leather jacket. I had one in my closet for a few years, worn maybe twice, but not any more because it was too big for me. I didn't feel sexy in it, and what's the point of wearing a leather jacket if it doesn't make you feel sexy. I went into the store, and I tried the smallest gloves they had, but my short, stubby fingers did not reach the tips. They never do. I glanced at the wallets. I walked around, looked up, and on a high shelf sat a mannequin wearing a black leather jacket with ruffles lining the zipper, collar, and sleeves. It came in at the mannequin's waist, and the lines on it slimmed the skinny mannequin even more. I just wanted to see the jacket, to touch it. I didn't have to try it on. But there it was. All $379 of it. Some stores put nice clothes up high on the walls to deter short people like me from trying/purchasing them, but not this one. I knew that if I tried it and I loved it, there would be no way in hell I could ever have it, even if I got the $50 off every $150 (which meant $100 off).

I grabbed the first one off the rack. I put it on, zipped it up, and it hugged every curve perfectly. It fit like a glove. "Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no."

I said to the sales lady that perhaps I should have a bake sale, or start a leather jacket fund that my family could contribute to - after all, it was my birthday coming up. She asked if she should write down the model number, and I said yes, really just to go online and look at it. And weep.

A few days later, I asked my mom to come into the mall after work so I could at least be seen by one other person in the jacket. When I put it on, it was kind of like this all over again:


I took a deep breath, took it off, and we left the store in search of a jacket that I actually needed.

I guess my mom mentioned it to my grandparents, and, knowing the cost, and the fact that the sale ended the day before my grandparents came over, when asked about a certain jacket that I'd found, I denied everything. I didn't know what they were talking about. There was nothing to talk about.

After my afternoon class, my grandparents took me to the mall on a mission to find a Spring/Fall jacket for me. Around the time we found one at Winners and we were on the way to Safeway to pick up a cake, I thought I'd share with my grandma, who appreciates quality clothing, a little about that leather jacket. "It has a braided trim, and there are ruffles on the inside, too, so if you wear the jacket open, you can see ruffles on both sides. It was really well-made."
"Well, let's go see it!" said my grandma.
"What's that? A jacket?" My grandpa overheard.
"NOTHING! Nope. Nothing. There is no jacket," I said.
"Why don't we go see it? Just to see you in it," said my grandpa.
"Even if I showed you the jacket, and there is no jacket, the sale ended yesterday. It's not a hundred dollars off anymore."
"I can get that sale price. We'll go there right now."
"No! I won't tell you where it is." I hate bargaining, and I didn't want to see my grandpa ask for the lower price and have the lady say no.

After some more "'Let's go see the jacket!' - 'What jacket?'" it was decided that we would pick up my mom from work and go see the jacket.

Before entering Danier, I gave a final warning, "I think this is a bad idea!" and my mom shoved me into the store.

There it was, except this time it was brown. I hadn't seen the brown one before, and then I loved it just a little bit more. Plus, the price had been marked down to $200.
"See? Isn't it a good thing we came? And you didn't want to. Now you have to trust Dziadzius," my grandpa said. Obviously, they loved it. You'd have to be insane not to. I tried on the XXS in the brown. (The black XXS one was the one that fit me like a glove.) I said it felt tighter than the black one, but it still looked amazing. So, I tried the XS in the brown. It was nice, but not quite the same. Back to the brown XXS. I found it tighter still, so I tried the original black XXS, which felt ever so slightly better. But maybe the XS in the brown was okay. I put that one on again. Then the black XXS. Then the brown XXS. And this went on and on, and finally we had to decide between the brown XXS and black XXS.

Well.

Hi. My name is Oriana, and I am the proud owner of a brown XXS leather jacket that, especially with the shortened sleeves, fits me better than any glove I've ever worn. And that's not just because gloves never fit me.

As for my old leather jacket? After trying it on to see if my grandma could take it in, she asked if she could try it. It fits her! So, we both got leather jackets.

$200 was a price I could live with. $279 was not. I've always been bad at getting gifts, especially expensive ones, but I love my jacket, and I'm glad we went in "just to see [me] in it."


(I was going to post a photo of it from Danier.com, but the model doesn't do the jacket justice. I will show you how it's supposed to look - with me in it.)

1 comment:

Dziadzius said...

Baci and I are very happy that you like it. You are a very good girl and deserve it, without a doubt.
Love you
Baci and Dziadzius